Friday, July 17, 2009

40th Anniversary of Apollo 11 and New LRO photos

When I was a kid I loved astronomy and anything to do with space. And then it seemed for so long that we weren't really doing all that much in space and I kinda lost interest. If you had asked me when I was ten if we'd have a man on Mars by now, I would have told you without hesitating, yes. But money is scarce when you're throwing trillions away on killing people. We can spend more money than you and I can even imagine on blowing brown people up half way across the world, but we can't spend it to engineer a way to send a man to Mars. We can make the Internets to waste everyone's time and be an utter distraction, but we can' seem to come up with a way to travel through the solar system. Maybe I'm just jaded.

But today, I got really excited for the first time in a long time about our space program. NASA has released new images of the Apollo landing sites for the 40th anniversary of us landing men on the moon for the first time. And on that note, if you had asked me, again when I was ten, if a woman or a black person would have landed on the moon by 2010, I'd have told you hell yes. And maybe that's coming soon, maybe real soon. We squander our time here in so many ways, and our wealth too.

At any rate, the images were taken by their Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, which is mapping the entire moon so they can send people back to the moon, this time on a more permanent basis instead of just for a few hours.

I think the most interesting picture is where you can see the astronauts' footprints. They're still there because there's no weather on the moon. It's pretty nifty if you ask me. In the coming weeks they'll have better, higher res images as the satellite drops lower into it's orbit. Maybe they'll have GoogleMoon eventually. Wouldn't that be cool?

No comments:

Post a Comment