Friday, July 23, 2010

May God Have Mercy On Your Souls



I've got news for my Republican friends. Every single person who is going to recieve unemployment insurance under this bill is unemployed. Every single one of them doesn't have a job, and that's why they need this money. Now I know what the Republicans are thinking, they're thinking, why don't they just sell some stock? If they're in really dire straights maybe they could take some of their art collection and send it off to the auctioneer. And if they're in deep, deep trouble, maybe the unemployed can sell one of their yachts. That's what the Republicans are thinking right now. But that's not the life of ordinary people. The 99% of America who actually have to work for a living, that doesn't just clip coupons and live off of interest and dividends like my Republican friends do. That's why we need this bill to pass, because of the 99% of America that deals with reality every day. The people who will lose their homes if this bill doesn't pass. The people who will be living in their cars if this doesn't pass. That's why we need this to pass. And I will say this to Republicans who have blocked this bill now for months and kept food out of the mouths of children, I will say to them now, may God have mercy on your souls.
And here is the root of the problem. These rich bastards that run everything haven't got a clue what it's like to wonder where your next meal is coming from, or whether you might get laid off when you live paycheck to paycheck. They haven't got one iota of an idea of what it's like for the rest of us.

3 comments:

  1. I am pretty sure that most have a clue. The thing is, I am also fairly certain that most don't give a shit. Can't fix sociopathy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right. I wish I could argue that it was just the damn Repugnicans who felt this way, but our entire Congress, I'm afraid, has been compromised by big money and the corporatists.

    Re your comment on Contextual Criticism: The rats have come out of the woodwork. I think they cannot get their midget mentalities around the fact that we have a "black" president who is one hell of a lot smarter and more articulate than any one of them will ever be.

    I'm constantly surprised at how racism is so thoroughly embedded in our society, especially in the South. I play golf frequently with gentleman who look and act the part and then suddenly burst forth with some racist invective, either against Obama or blacks in general.

    The Tea Party poops are scared shitless. The whole world has changed when they weren't looking and they don't know what to do about it because they've never learned a damn thing in their entire lives. Thus, their reactions are visceral and violent.

    Even more frightening, however, is the fact we have so many Christian Reconstructionists in place in governments across our land - from city councils, to state houses to Congress. Michele Bachmann is just one example. Jim DeMint is another. And Sarah Palin has been deemed the "called" one who will bring our country back to "god" by instituting rule via the Reconstructionist version/interpretation of the Bible. Sarah has had hands laid on her head for just that purpose.

    I fear greatly for our country as the corporatists and christianists seize more power daily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They say that evil prevails when good men do nothing. The problem is, no one puts these people in their place. You say you play golf with someone who has racist views. Have you ever disapproved of them? You probably haven't, because you lose friends and anger family members when you stand up to them over such things. Or heaven forbid they're your boss! It's a hard thing to do.

    When I was in high school, I worked in a grocery store as a cashier. There was a young woman who worked with me, she was in her early 20s, and we often chatted when we weren't busy. One day there was a white woman and two cute little kids with her who were obviously mixed race, half black, half white. The girl said something terrible about them to me, I don't remember verbatim what it was. I turned to her and said, almost without even thinking, "Don't you ever talk like that again in front of me." And I turned around and made myself busy cleaning my register. It really pissed me off. Later that evening, she came down there and apologized to me. She said that she didn't really mean it, but thought that I would have agreed with her. I don't know if she was really telling me the truth or if she was just embarrassed as hell.

    It's a tight rope to walk, especially when it's your family. I have had to tiptoe around the southern Baptists, and the Catholics and the racists in my family, trying not to piss any of them off without letting them silence me. Most of us have a rule of thumb for holidays though, no talking religion or politics. Unfortunately, there are certain members in the family who don't have that same tact. I very nearly got into it with some of my Catholic cousins one Thanksgiving because, well, me and my bleeding love of medieval history (see: inquisition, Islam) and I just had to correct their inaccurate views, and I very nearly avoided really pissing them off. Hell, maybe they were pissed off anyway. I guess they'll get over it, or not.

    ReplyDelete